College students win as lawmakers enact historic tuition rollback, Baumgartner says

Sen. Michael Baumgartner, R-Spokane.

Sen. Michael Baumgartner, R-Spokane.

OLYMPIA… Sen. Michael Baumgartner, R-Spokane, issued the following statement Monday evening after the Washington Senate voted for an unprecedented college-tuition rollback in the final agreement on a 2015-17 operating budget and in Senate Bill 5954:

“The big winners in this state budget agreement are college students and their families. Because of Senate Republican leadership, college students in Washington will benefit from the first reduction in public college tuition in American history.

“We will reduce tuition 5 percent across the board this fall, and we will further reduce it in 2016, for a total 15 percent reduction at UW and WSU and a total 20 percent at Eastern, Western, Central and Evergreen.

“When Republicans took control of the Senate, we said we would fight for college students, and we would do something about our skyrocketing tuition in this state and the burden of debt it has forced upon them.

“Once again, we have delivered.”

 

Tuition rollbacks enacted by Legislature in operating budget, SB 5954
Current Yr 14-15 Yr 15-16 Savings Year 16-17 Savings
UW $10,740 $537.00 $1,611.00
WSU $10,336 $516.80 $1,550.40
CWU $6,954 $347.70 $1,390.80
EWU $6,491 $324.55 $1,298.20
TESC $6,968 $348.40 $1,391.60
WWU $7,209 $360.45 $1,441.80
Community and technical colleges $3,217 $160.85 N/A